There is equipment to help people who have sensory loss with everyday activities in their own homes.

For example, there is equipment that can help with

  • Cooking and food preparation
  • Pouring drinks
  • Dealing with tablets and medication
  • Labelling and identifying tins
  • Sorting out money
  • Using the phone
  • Using computers
  • Lighting
  • Hand-writing
  • Reading
  • Telling the time
  • Identifying colours
  • Mobility and getting around

Some equipment is available through Adult Social Care, following an assessment by a specialist social care worker. The equipment is available on loan and should be returned when it’s no longer needed.

To get a hearing aid, digital hearing aid or cochlear implant, go to your doctor. They will refer you to an ear, nose and throat consultant.

Help and advice

You can search our Community Directory, and follow these links to more information that may be useful.

Hearing loss
Sight loss
British Sign Language videos
Information sheet F4 – Sight loss equipment
Information sheet G2 – Deafness and hearing loss methods of communication

Last reviewed: October 31, 2023 by Paul

Next review due: May 1, 2024

Back to top